1 Killed, 2 Injured In Wrong-Way Crash In Houston
Many car accidents could be prevented if drivers would follow traffic laws. That doesn’t always happen, though. Some drivers act stupid while behind the wheel, doing things such as drinking alcohol, speeding, and driving in the wrong direction.
Wrong-way driving led to the death of one person, with two other people injured. The fatal accident happened on the evening of August 3 on Winkler Drive.
A sedan veered into oncoming traffic, hitting a pickup truck in the 9400 block of Winkler Drive. The driver of the sedan as well as a passenger, an unidentified woman, were injured and taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital. The woman later died.
A man, woman, and infant were in the pickup. The driver suffered minor injuries. While the 6-month-old wasn’t injured, they were taken to a local hospital as a precaution.
It is believed that the driver of the sedan was intoxicated at the time of the crash, as there were alcohol bottles inside the car.
Wrong Way Crashes on the Rise
There is a disturbing trend toward wrong-way crashes across the country. These accidents are on the rise and are often caused by alcohol. Most of these crashes happen late at night or early in the morning, when visibility is at its worst.
There are several main types of wrong-way crashes:
- Getting on the wrong freeway entrance ramp. This is the most common reason for wrong-way crashes. Instead of going onto an onramp, the driver drives into an offramp, which causes them to enter a freeway in the wrong direction.
- Driving on the wrong side of the road. A person unfamiliar with the roads in an area may find themselves going the wrong way.
- Turning the wrong way onto a one-way street. This type of accident occurs often in urban and downtown areas because the traffic flow changes to one direction. This can be confusing for some drivers, especially if there is inadequate signage.
Wrong-way crashes happen because of the following:
- Alcohol use. Intoxication causes a person to have impaired judgment. Their reaction time also slows down.
- Distracted driving can cause a person to lose focus of the roadway. When they’re not paying attention, they can enter a road in the wrong direction.
- Old age. Vision problems, dementia, and other health problems can complicate driving. Older drivers can get confused easily and hit another motorist head on.
- Road construction can require rerouting, which can be confusing for some drivers. Drivers may end up going in the wrong direction, which can lead to accidents.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer
Wrong-way crashes can happen for a variety of reasons. Sadly, they can cause catastrophic injuries and even death.
If you have been involved in any type of car crash, seek legal help from the Houston auto accident attorneys at The West Law Office, PLLC. Discuss the situation with us and we’ll ensure the process for filing a claim goes smoothly. Get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. To schedule a free consultation, fill out the online form or call 281-347-3247.