Houston Sideswipe Accident Attorney
Sometimes car crashes occur during lane changes, whether intentional or unintentional. These are called side-swipe accidents and although they usually involve minimal contact, they can be dangerous when high speeds are involved. Side-swipe accidents occur when two vehicles traveling parallel to each other make contact with the sides of their vehicles. While these accidents tend to occur when the vehicles are going in the same direction, they can occur when the vehicles are traveling in opposite directions as well. Have you suffered damages in a sideswipe crash? If so, a Houston sideswipe accident attorney can help you get the compensation you need.
Common Causes of Sideswipe Accidents
Sideswipe accidents may occur in the following situations:
- Distracted driving. Most sideswipe accidents are caused by distracted driving. This may include talking on the phone, texting while driving, reading, changing the radio station, or dealing with children or pets in the car.
- A driver who is overly tired may have trouble staying in their lane. They may veer out of their lane and hit an adjacent vehicle.
- Weather conditions. Heavy rain or snow can make it difficult to see vehicles around you. This means you may switch lanes even though there is a car next to you that you can’t see.
- A driver who is speeding can easily lose control of their vehicle and end up in the adjacent lane.
- Impaired driving. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can impair judgment and depth perception. This can cause the driver to move out of their lane and hit an adjacent vehicle.
- A sideswipe accident can happen when a driver has to suddenly avoid an obstacle by veering into the adjacent lane.
- Failure to yield. Merging into another lane without yielding to oncoming traffic can cause a sideswipe accident.
Liability in a Sideswipe Accident
The person who acted negligently would be held liable in a sideswipe accident. This would likely be the driver who made the lane change, since they acted in a way that was not what a reasonable person would have done in the same situation.
Drivers need to be careful before making a lane change. They must signal, check blind spots, and then change lanes when safe. If they make an unsafe or reckless lane change, they can be held 100% liable for a crash. There are situations in which the drivers of both vehicles can be liable for a sideswipe accident. A lawyer can help determine liability.
Contact a Houston Sideswipe Accident Attorney Today
Sideswipe accidents can be especially dangerous for bicyclists and motorcyclists, who have no protection in the event of a crash. In these situations, serious injuries can result.
The West Law Office can help you with your sideswipe accident case. We can assist with liability and compensation issues. Schedule a free consultation today. Contact a Houston sideswipe accident attorney by filling out the online form or calling 281-347-3247.