Houston Fatal Truck Accident Attorney
Semi trucks are an essential part of our economy, but they are not without their dangers. Many weigh as much as 80,000 pounds and when they collide with a passenger vehicle, the result is often death. Thousands of people die in truck accidents every year. If your loved one was killed in a truck accident, you might want to consider a wrongful death lawsuit. A lawsuit can help you pay for expenses and move on after a loved one’s death. These cases can be highly complex.
Contact a Houston fatal truck accident attorney to learn more about the legal process for such a crash.
Liability in Truck Accidents
Fatal truck accidents can be caused by truck driver error, poor maintenance, improper loading, and equipment failure due to defects. If your loved one has been killed in a truck accident, there could be multiple parties at fault. These parties will more than likely deny fault and cover up evidence quickly to try to reduce their liability for a crash. Because trucking companies act quickly, these cases can be complex. An experienced truck accident attorney can assess your case and determine liability. The following parties can be held liable in a truck crash:
- Truck driver
- Trucking company
- Owner of the truck
- Person loading the truck
- Company leasing the truck or trailer
- Shipping company
- Truck, trailer, or parts manufacturer
Why File a Lawsuit?
Your loved one is gone and no amount of money will ever bring them back, so why file a lawsuit? A wrongful death claim can provide you with compensation to pay for expenses related to your loved one’s death. For example, you may have the following:
- Funeral or burial expenses. These costs can exceed $10,000.
- Property damage. You can receive compensation for damaged property, such as the vehicle involved and any possessions inside it.
- Medical expenses. If your loved one was hospitalized after a truck accident, but later died, you can still recover compensation for medical expenses. The death does not have to occur right away for you to receive compensation.
- Emotional damages. Damages do not have to be purely economic in nature in order for the surviving family members to receive compensation. You can get compensated for pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of support, loss of companionship, loss of consortium, and any other damages that may apply, depending on your relationship with the deceased.
Contact a Houston Fatal Truck Accident Attorney Today
Semi trucks are very heavy vehicles and the impact they cause in an accident can lead to fatalities, especially when smaller vehicles are involved. When a person is killed in such a crash, the family can file a lawsuit for compensation.
Looking for financial compensation and justice? The West Law Office can help you file a wrongful death claim against the liable party. To schedule a free consultation with a Houston fatal truck accident attorney, call 281-347-3247 or fill out the online form.