Houston Truck Accident Attorney
Trucks are frequently utilized in the United States to move freight. Over nine billion tons of freight are moved on highways in the United States every year. the state of Texas sees the most trucking traffic, and for that reason, 18-wheeler accidents are dangerously common. Accidents involving these large trucks can be extremely harmful, and often times result in serious personal injury or wrongful death.
Houston truck accident attorney, Sue E. West, is experienced in navigating through the complexities and difficulties of these types of accidents. The West Law Office carefully looks over every detail pertaining to the accident, making sure the accident report was correct, your rights were exercised, and that the trucking company followed Texas’ guidelines, federal guidelines, and their own policies. In many 18-wheeler accidents, the trucks did not follow federal safety regulations which results in extensive personal injury litigation.
Common Causes of 18-Wheeler Accidents Include:
- Mechanical failure or poor truck maintenance
- Driver fatigue or recklessness
- Blind spots
- Unsafe lane changes
- Road defects
- Driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Insufficient driver training
- Overloaded truck
18-Wheeler Accident in Texas
If you have been involved in an 18-wheeler accident in Houston or Katy, Texas it is important to follow these steps accordingly:
- Seek medical attention immediately. This might mean calling an ambulance to come pick you up at the accident scene.
- Contact the police to report the accident. An officer should come and write a police report. Depending on the situation, an officer might also ask a trucker to take a breath test if intoxication is suspected.
- Take and keep evidence from the accident. Evidence includes pictures of the scene, the vehicles, and people involved.
- Do not speak to an insurance company before consulting with an attorney. Recorded statements can and will be used against you in court. Make sure to consult with an experienced Houston 18 wheeler accident attorney before making your statement.
- Contact Katy, Texas 18 Wheeler Accident Attorney Houston Sue E. West at the West Law Office. We utilize all methods needed to ensure your rights are protected. Through effective communication with trucking and insurance companies, the police, witnesses, and your medical providers, we can determine how to proceed with your case.
Accidents involving an 18 wheeler can be extremely dangerous. If you have been involved in an 18-wheeler accident in Katy or Houston Texas, contact us immediately. Collisions with these vehicles can cause serious injuries, and oftentimes death. Don’t let the negligence of another party ruin your legal and driving rights.
Why You Need a Houston Truck Accident Attorney
These accidents are very different from the typical fender bender involving a four-door car. Anyone who tries to negotiate their own settlement is at a distinct disadvantage. If you contact our Houston truck accident attorney, we can immediately help pull together a claim for compensation.
These cases are complicated to bring for several reasons:
- Victims usually suffer very serious injuries due to the truck’s size. When victims suffer more serious injuries, more money is in play for compensation. Insurance companies are usually aggressive at defending these claims because they want to pay as little as possible.
- Federal trucking regulations are often relevant. For example, the trucker might have been out on the road for too long in violation of federal hours of service rules. Other regulations apply to the truck. You need a lawyer who understands how regulations impact a case.
- The trucking company usually has more evidence at its disposal, which you need to get your hands on. As examples, they usually have employee records, including drug tests and physical exams. The truck probably has “black box” data which will tell us how long the truck has been in motion. Your attorney can request that a trucking company protect this evidence so we can see it.
A trucking company will have a team of investigators at the accident scene within an hour or two. They busily collect evidence to use in a case. You need a lawyer to help you as you recuperate from your injuries.
Who Do You Sue for Compensation?
An accident victim should seek to hold responsible the person or business at fault for the crash. In our experience, we have sued one or more of the following:
- Truck drivers for being negligent or reckless.
- Employers, who might have independent liability for negligent hiring or supervising their truckers or could automatically be liable as the employer.
- The truck owner for failing to make repairs or using defective equipment.
- The freight owner or loading company, especially when a truck is overloaded or the cargo is unbalanced.
- Truck mechanics or body shops for making negligent repairs.
- Truck manufacturers for defective trucks or component parts.
- Municipal governments, if a defect on their road contributed to a crash.
At the West Law Office, we carefully review all evidence to determine what caused the collision. This gives us the knowledge necessary to sue the correct party and obtain compensation for your injuries. If you tried to handle your own claim, you could end up suing the wrong party and going over the statute of limitations period. There is no reason to run the risk of losing the ability to sue when you can get professional legal assistance.
Contact An Experienced Houston Truck Accident Attorney
Our experience in tractor-trailer accidents at the West Law Office will be your best chance of receiving the financial recovery you need. We know what to look for in an investigation, and know how to help you receive fair compensation for your pain, suffering, hospital bills, and lost wages. With extensive experience in 18-wheeler accidents involving driver fatigue, alcohol and drug abuse, defective equipment, speeding, and many other incidences, we will work hard get you the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been involved in an 18 wheeler accident Houston, call for a free consultation today 281-347-3247.