Houston Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
Every twenty minutes, someone in Texas is hurt or killed because of a drunk driver.
Injuries caused by drunk driving are one of the most common and most avoidable types of accidents. if drivers were responsible and refrained from getting behind the wheel under the influence of alcohol, more than 10,000 lives in the United States could be saved. Texas, unfortunately, has one of the most drunk driving deaths than any other state, contact experienced Houston drunk driving accident attorneys today.
Effects of Traumatic Accidents
Drunk driving accidents can cause death (Drunk driving cases resulting in death), but also tend to cause more traumatic and serious injuries than any other type of car accident. Drunk drivers have an enhanced impairment of judgment while driving, and often times lose control of their vehicles, causing severe collisions and destroying innocent lives. Drunk driving accidents can cause serious injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Paralysis, or permanent disability
- Injuries requiring amputation
- Blunt trauma
If you have been involved in a drunk driving accident and experienced an injury, contact the West Law Office immediately. No matter how big or small your injury, we can help you receive justice and the fair compensation you deserve.
DWI and the Law
Driving while intoxicated or impaired (DWI), is a federal offense. if an individual is driving impaired, they can be arrested and charged with a DWI if their blood alcohol content (BAC), is at or above the legal level of .08. There is no amount of money or a price tag that can be randomly allocated for the pain and suffering caused from a serious injury or losing a loved one to a drunk driver. Drunk driving accidents are completely preventable, and it takes a seriously negligent driver to drive under the influence of alcohol. In the event of a drunk driving accident, we are here to help victims receive the justice they deserve.
In Texas, DWI also covers driving while impaired by drugs, even prescription drugs. Increasingly, people use marijuana recreationally, which impairs their ability to drive safely, much as alcohol does. Someone using marijuana will typically have delayed reflexes and poor judgment. They are also at risk of falling asleep and crashing into innocent people. We can bring a legal claim against a driver impaired by any drug.
Your job is to recover from your personal injuries. Our job will be to fight for maximum compensation
Drinking and Driving victims and their loved ones should not suffer even more with the burden of medical bills, lost wages, and other financial costs from the accident. Drunk driver accident attorney Sue E. West in Houston, Texas, is experienced in these serious and traumatic cases. She will work diligently to assure you and your loved ones get the compensation for these burdensome costs that you deserve.
We have experience seeking compensation for:
- Economic damages, including medical bills, surgical costs, lost income, lost benefits, property damage, and other out-of-pocket expenses.
- Non-economic damages, including emotional anguish, physical pain, suffering, and the loss of enjoyment of life.
We can also seek punitive damages in a drunk driving case. These damages were designed to punish defendants when they engage in grossly negligent conduct or intentionally harm someone. Driving while intoxicated fits comfortably within the definition of gross negligence. Someone who is driving while intoxicated does not care about the safety of other people, so they should be punished. Our legal team always considers whether to seek punitive damages in addition to the compensatory damages listed above.
Evidence in a Houston Drunk Driving Case
The goal should be to prove that the driver was intoxicated or chemically impaired and show they were responsible for the wreck. You need evidence to make this type of claim. The type of evidence you use will depend on the unique facts of your case, but we usually rely on:
- Witness testimony. Witnesses possibly saw the driver stumbling around or slurring their speech. A witness might also see the driver exit with a beer bottle in their hand or marijuana on the dash.
- Chemical tests. It is important to call the police after a crash. Let the officer decide if the driver was impaired. They can request that the driver participate in field sobriety tests or request that the driver give a breath or urine sample. We frequently use these results to establish that a driver was drunk.
- Statements made by the driver. A driver might admit to drinking or doing drugs, and we can use these statements. Even the way the driver talks could provide important evidence. A driver who slurs his speech is probably impaired.
- Video. There might be dash cam footage of the crash or video from a nearby business. Video evidence brings the accident to life for the viewer.
- Medical evidence. Our clients usually sue for bodily injuries suffered in the wreck. You will need solid evidence to establish the severity of your injuries. Go to the hospital soon after the accident and tell the attending physician that you were involved in a car crash. Also identify any pain. A doctor can order diagnostic tests.
This is the most important evidence in a drunk driving case. Speak with our legal team for tips about what other evidence could be vital to your claim.
Contact a Houston Drunk Driver Accident Lawyer
Drunk driving is a crime, but it is also a civil wrong. Anyone suffering damages can bring a lawsuit in civil court against the driver—regardless of whether a criminal case goes forward. Contact Houston drunk driving accident attorney, Sue E. West, today for a free consultation and find out how you can get full compensation for someone’s negligent behavior 281-347-3247.