Houston Car Wreck Attorney
Accidents happen on Texas roadways every day. Every day, motorists collide with pedestrians, other vehicles, animals, poles, buildings, and other objects. While many of these crashes are minor with no damage or injuries, some are more severe. They can result in surgeries, therapy, lasting pain, mobility issues, brain damage, and more. These medical issues can also result in financial losses. Seek legal help from a Houston car wreck attorney who can thoroughly assess your case and help you get the compensation you deserve.
Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can be caused by many factors, including the following:
- Distracted driving. The leading cause of crashes, this may include texting on your smartphone, as well as eating, reading, talking to passengers, and grooming.
- Intoxicated driving. You should never drive after doing drugs or alcohol. Being under the influence can affect judgment and cause a serious accident.
- The rush of adrenaline from speeding is not worth it. Not only can you get a speeding ticket, but you can also lose control of your vehicle and crash.
- Poor weather. The rain, ice, and snow can lead to slippery conditions on the roadways. If you are going too fast, you can slide, lose control, and go off the road. If you must drive in these conditions, be alert and take it slow.
- Disobeying traffic laws. Stop signs and traffic signals are in place for a reason. If you run a stop sign or red light, you not only get a ticket but you can also cause an accident. Follow the laws and avoid distractions and reckless driving.
- Driving at night. Accidents are more likely to occur at night, when it’s dark and visibility is reduced. On dark rural roads, use your high beams and stay extra alert.
Damages in a Car Accident
There are three main types of damages that a person can face in a car accident:
- Economic damages: This includes financial losses and anything that can be easily calculated, such as lost income, medical bills, and property damage. It may also include future economic damages, such as expected medical expenses, therapy, and lost wages due to time off from work.
- Non-economic damages: This includes losses that are more emotional in nature and cannot be easily calculated. Some examples include pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of consortium, and loss of companionship.
- Punitive damages: These are not available in every case. Punitive losses are in place to punish someone for malicious or reckless conduct, like drunk driving or intentional behavior that injures or kills someone.
Contact a Houston Car Wreck Attorney Today
A car accident can change your life forever. You may suffer from long-term medical issues and pain and suffering. You may be unable to work or do the things you once loved.
The West Law Office can help you obtain compensation for these damages and more. To speak with a Houston car wreck attorney, call 281-347-3247 or fill out the online form.