Houston Car Wreck Attorney
Accidents happen on Texas roadways every day. Every day, motorists collide with pedestrians, other vehicles, animals, poles, buildings, and other objects. While many of these crashes are minor with no damage or injuries, some are more severe. They can result in surgeries, therapy, lasting pain, mobility issues, brain damage, and more. These medical issues can also result in financial losses. Seek legal help from a Houston car wreck attorney who can thoroughly assess your case and help you get the compensation you deserve.
- Auto Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Car Accident Concussion
- Car Accident Neck Injury
- Distracted Driving Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Dump Truck Accidents
- Fatal Truck Accidents
- Garbage Truck Accidents
- Head-On Collision
- Highway Accidents
- Hit & Run
- Jackknife Truck Accidents
- Limo Accidents
- Lyft Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Overloaded Truck Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Rear End Car Accidents
- Reckless Driving
- Red Light Accidents
- Rideshare Accidents
- Rollover Accidents
- School Bus Accidents
- Semi-Truck Accidents
- Sideswipe Accidents
- T-Bone Accidents
- Tanker Truck Accidents
- Taxi Accidents
- Tractor Trailer Accidents
- Traffic Collision
- Truck Accidents
- 18 Wheeler Accidents
- Uber Accidents
- Unsecured Cargo Truck Accidents
Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can be caused by many factors, including the following:
- Distracted driving. The leading cause of crashes, this may include texting on your smartphone, as well as eating, reading, talking to passengers, and grooming.
- Intoxicated driving. You should never drive after doing drugs or alcohol. Being under the influence can affect judgment and cause a serious accident.
- The rush of adrenaline from speeding is not worth it. Not only can you get a speeding ticket, but you can also lose control of your vehicle and crash.
- Poor weather. The rain, ice, and snow can lead to slippery conditions on the roadways. If you are going too fast, you can slide, lose control, and go off the road. If you must drive in these conditions, be alert and take it slow.
- Disobeying traffic laws. Stop signs and traffic signals are in place for a reason. If you run a stop sign or red light, you not only get a ticket but you can also cause an accident. Follow the laws and avoid distractions and reckless driving.
- Driving at night. Accidents are more likely to occur at night, when it’s dark and visibility is reduced. On dark rural roads, use your high beams and stay extra alert.
Damages in a Car Accident
There are three main types of damages that a person can face in a car accident:
- Economic damages: This includes financial losses and anything that can be easily calculated, such as lost income, medical bills, and property damage. It may also include future economic damages, such as expected medical expenses, therapy, and lost wages due to time off from work.
- Non-economic damages: This includes losses that are more emotional in nature and cannot be easily calculated. Some examples include pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of consortium, and loss of companionship.
- Punitive damages: These are not available in every case. Punitive losses are in place to punish someone for malicious or reckless conduct, like drunk driving or intentional behavior that injures or kills someone.
5 Mistakes to Avoid after a Houston Car Wreck
We have seen some accident victims hamstring their ability to obtain fair compensation. You should avoid these 5 mistakes:
- Mistake #1: You don’t call the police after an accident. You need an officer to create an official crash report. This report has vital information, and many insurance adjusters are looking for it when reviewing your claim. Remember to call the officer as soon as you can.
- Mistake #2: You refuse to go to the hospital after an accident. You need to begin documenting your injuries, and a trip to the hospital accomplishes that. Don’t try to diagnose your injuries by going online.
- Mistake #3: You give a recorded statement to an insurance adjuster. That is a serious mistake. Many adjusters are trying to get you to share responsibility for the accident. They might put words in your mouth during a recorded statement and then use those words against you.
- Mistake #4: You don’t follow through with all recommended treatments. This is important to ensure you make a strong recovery. Also, the defendant can’t blame you if you continue to have pain or disability. Undergo all recommended rehabilitation, but feel free to request a second medical opinion if you aren’t improving.
- Mistake #5: You guess at how much your injuries are worth. In our experience, car wreck victims underestimate how much they can receive in a settlement. You can’t expect an insurance adjuster to just hand you a fair settlement. You need to know how much you could receive if you went to trial.
Our clients who avoid these mistakes improve their odds of receiving a fair settlement. Contact the West Law Office if you have questions about how to proceed after a wreck. It’s better to get professional advice than rely on information you receive from friends or family.
Why a Houston Attorney is a Good Investment
Many accident victims have no money, so they never think to hire a lawyer. We understand the thought process. Some victims are so hurt they can’t work, so there is literally no money coming in the door. They can’t cover most bills or even buy groceries.
Unfortunately, negotiation without a lawyer is a mistake. You should definitely have a lawyer by your side during the negotiation process. A lawyer will take the lead and gather evidence, draft a demand letter, and haggle with the other side for more compensation.
Without a lawyer, you can’t focus adequately on getting well. You also could leave money on the table. Sue West has years of experience advocating for car wreck victims in Houston. She knows how much to request for a settlement, and she knows when to reject an unfair settlement and sue instead.
Even better, our firm does not charge upfront legal fees. Instead, we use contingency fee agreements with our car wreck clients. This means we agree to accept a percentage of your settlement or jury award in exchange for our services. If for some reason we don’t win, then you don’t owe us anything.
Contact a Houston Car Wreck Attorney Today
A car accident can change your life forever. You may suffer from long-term medical issues and pain and suffering. You may be unable to work or do the things you once loved. The West Law Office can help you obtain compensation for these damages and more. To speak with a Houston car accident attorney, call 281-347-3247 or fill out the online form.