Houston School Bus Accident Attorney
School buses are very safe—in fact, they’re the safest vehicle your child can ride to school. That’s because school buses are highly regulated and protected by the law. In addition, they have many safety features, such as flashing red lights, stop sign arms, protective seating, and rollover protection. Despite these features, though, accidents and injuries can still occur. In rare cases, death can result. A Houston school bus accident attorney can help you handle liability and compensation issues you might encounter after your child has been injured in a school bus accident.
Common Causes of School Bus Accidents
School bus crashes can be caused by a variety of factors, including the following:
- Driver error. Driving a bus is a lot of hard work. Drivers must follow all necessary safety precautions and ensure they are fully trained to drive these large buses. They must be able to do so while handling loud distractions.
- Weather conditions. Wet or windy conditions can make it challenging for drivers to navigate buses. It is especially hard to stop or turn quickly.
- Turning left. Turning left is not an easy task for a bus. They may cross over into multiple lanes to accomplish this task, which means other drivers need to be alert.
- Blind spots. Buses are large and therefore have huge blind spots. While bus drivers have mirrors that can help, it’s still possible to not be able to see behind them or to the side.
- Bus company negligence. Sometimes the bus company or school district can be held liable for accidents. Examples include a lack of training and poor maintenance, both which can cause serious accidents.
What Drivers Can Do
Motorists can also do their part by:
- Never passing a school bus when it is loading or unloading children.
- Obeying the flashing lights and stop arm.
- Watching for children near bus stops.
- Slowing down and being alert near school zones.
What Students Can Do
As parents, you can do your part by discussing proper school bus behavior with your child:
- Wait until the bus has stopped completely before getting on.
- Don’t cross the street in front of the bus until it is safe to do so.
- Stay seated until it is time to get off.
- Don’t distract the bus driver by yelling, throwing items, or other disruptive behavior.
- Avoid putting body parts out of the window.
Contact a Houston School Bus Accident Attorney Today
While school buses are much safer than passenger vehicles, an accident can still result in serious injuries and even death. It’s important that you understand your rights to compensation.
The West Law Office can help you fight for justice and compensation. We will help you file a lawsuit against the liable parties and work diligently to get you the money you need to pay for your child’s injuries and other damages. Schedule a free consultation with a Houston school bus accident attorney today by calling 281-347-3247 or filling out the online form.