Houston Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycle accidents can often times be more dangerous than an auto accident because a motorcyclist does not have the same protection as a car. Being involved in a motorcycle accident incurs both physical and financial losses. You should not have the burden from the cost of medical bills, motorcycle repairs, loss of income, and the pain and suffering endured after a motorcycle accident due to someone else’s negligence. Contact Houston motorcycle accident attorney, Sue E. West, to discuss your rights and options.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
These injuries are serious:
- Pelvic fractures
- Biker’s arm
- Road rash
- Skull fracture
- Traumatic brain injury
- Cervical fracture
- Chest injuries
- Back injuries
It is not unusual for motorcyclists to struggle with injuries for months. Some of them need rehab for years to help them recover as much as possible.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Despite motorcyclists taking every safety precaution on the road, motorcycle accidents are still very common. Even with protective gear and consistently following the rules of the road, motorcyclists frequently find themselves in situations where they have to protect themselves from collisions with cars or other vehicles.
Motorcycle accidents occur for numerous reasons, including but not limited to:
- Driver negligence, including driving while distracted, failing to yield, failing to use mirrors, and traveling too closely to motorcycles.
- Many motorcycle accidents in Houston TX can be entirely prevented. Most of the time, drivers fail to look for motorcycles on the road and cause a collision. Accidents occur due to simply not looking, or speeding, failing to give an indication of switching lanes, or failing to give a motorcyclist the proper amount of space in a lane.
- Third party negligence, such as the negligence of the government in keeping the roads safe.
- It is important that motorcyclists always keep their eyes moving and aware of driving and road conditions. What may be a small pothole to a larger vehicle can be a serious risk for a bike.
Involved in a Motorcycle Accident in Texas?
It is important to follow basic steps to ensure your claim will receive maximum compensation.
- Seek medical attention immediately. Your health is first and foremost the most important factor to tend to after a motorcycle accident.
- Keep all medical files, information about the drivers involved in the accident and eyewitness, photographs taken at the scene, and anything related to the accident.
- Contact the police to file a police report.
- Refrain from giving insurance companies your recorded statement. What you say can and will be used against you in trial so the insurance company can get out of giving you your deserved compensation.
- Contact the West Law Office as soon as possible. An experienced lawyer can help preserve your ability to sue for fair compensation following an accident.
How Much is Your Claim Worth?
This is an important question. You should never settle for too little in compensation. Instead, you want to get as much money as possible to cover your medical bills, lost income, damage to your motorcycle, and pain and suffering. Unfortunately, you can’t expect an insurer to offer a fair amount initially—you need to negotiate to pull them up.
At the West Law Office, we review the full extent of your medical injuries. Someone with a permanent disability, like an amputated limb or a brain injury, should receive more money for care than someone whose injuries heal in a couple months. Similarly, an accident victim will lose out on more income the more severe their pain.
In Texas, your comparative negligence can reduce the amount you take home. Many insurance adjusters blame motorcyclists for causing their accidents. For example, you might have woven in and out of lanes, or you could have engaged in lane splitting, which is illegal in Texas. Your compensation is reduced by your proportion of fault, so if you are 30% to blame, you will receive only 70% of your losses.
In some cases, you can be prevented from suing at all if you are more than 50% to blame. Our lawyer works carefully to identify your negligence, if any. We strive to keep the spotlight on the actions of the driver who hit you.
Important Deadlines for Motorcycle Accidents
Texas has a statute of limitations that gives motorcycle accident victims only two years to file a lawsuit. This is a firm deadline. If you go over it, you will lose the ability to sue the defendant for injuring you. You definitely want to speak with an attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights. Two years can pass very quickly, especially if you are rehabbing serious injuries.
If a defective road caused your accident, you have even less time. That is because you are suing a government agency, and there are special deadlines that apply when the government is on the other side. You will need to notify them of your claim within 6 months so that they have a chance to investigate the accident and possibly settle.
Our attorney makes sure her clients don’t go over these important deadlines. She will also negotiate with any defendant to make sure you receive a meaningful settlement to cover the full effects of your injuries.
Contact An Experienced Houston Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
Contact Sue E. West for a free consultation and experienced legal representation to get you maximum compensation for your injury. Your job will be to fully recover from your motorcycle accident. Our job will be to get you maximum compensation for your sufferings.