Houston Tractor Trailer Accident Attorney
A tractor trailer is a semi truck that can reach 72 feet long. These vehicles are also very heavy, weighing as much as 80,000 pounds. These vehicles can be scary to be around, but they’re everywhere, delivering goods all over the country. While tractor trailers are necessary, they can cause a lot of damage if there is a negligent driver behind the wheel. If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident involving a tractor trailer or other vehicle, seek legal help. These cases can be highly complicated, so contact a Houston tractor trailer accident attorney for help with your case.
Liability in a Tractor Trailer Accident
Tractor trailer crashes are so complex because there could be multiple entities responsible for the accident. Here are some possible liable parties:
- Truck driver. Truck drivers may be liable if they engaged in negligent behavior, such as speeding or driving while fatigued or distracted. They must be alert while behind the wheel of such a large vehicle.
- Trucking company. The trucking company bears responsibility for its trucks and drivers. This means companies are responsible for who they hire, so they must ensure the drivers are properly trained and have a clean driving record. Trucking companies are also responsible for maintaining their vehicles, so if poor maintenance causes a tractor trailer accident, the company will be held liable. In addition, they are liable if they do not follow Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) rules and the failure to do so leads to an accident.
- Cargo shipper and loader. Some trucking companies hire cargo shippers and loaders. Therefore, if a problem with the cargo causes a truck accident, the shipper or loader could be held liable.
- Truck or parts manufacturer. It is possible for a tractor trailer accident to be caused by a defective part. For example, tire blowouts, steering problems, or brake failures could lead to an accident. However, it is important to identify whether the part was defective from the start or the accident was caused by a maintenance issue. If the accident was caused by a defective part, you may be able to file a product liability claim.
- Government agencies. It is possible for a roadway hazard or poorly maintained road to contribute to a tractor trailer accident. In these cases, the local or state government could be held liable and forced to pay for damages. Keep in mind, though, that claims against the government are tricky and follow different procedures, so enlist the help of an experienced truck accident attorney who understands the nuances involved.
Contact a Houston Tractor Trailer Accident Attorney Today
Tractor trailers are huge vehicles that can cause a lot of damage. Seek legal help for your accident case.
The West Law Office can guide you through these complex cases. We will help you get the compensation you need to recover. Schedule a free consultation today. Contact a Houston tractor trailer accident attorney by calling 281-347-3247 or filling out the online form.