1 Injured In Wrong-Way Crash In Houston
Wrong-way driving has been quite common lately. A recent car crash in Houston was caused by a wrong-way driver. Fortunately, there were no fatalities, but one person was injured.
The incident happened on the morning of November 12 on the I-45 North Freeway at the Crosstimbers Street exit. The wrong-way driver was in the southbound lanes of I-45 but traveling north. Police officers were aware of the driver and were trying to get in front of the vehicle. However, they could not get ahead quickly enough and two vehicles collided head-on.
One person was injured in the crash. At this time, it is unknown which driver was hurt. The North Freeway was closed for several hours as police investigated.
Can You Avoid Wrong-Way Drivers?
Wrong-way driving is often the result of alcohol impairment, but it can be caused by fatigue, confusion, poor signage, and other factors. When a person is driving in the wrong direction, other drivers may not have time to react, especially at night, when visibility is reduced. There may be ways to avoid wrong-way drivers and stay safe on the roadways. Here are some tips to help:
- Look ahead. Scan the horizon line and look for any dangers up ahead. Always try to see as far as you can to anticipate any vehicles traveling in the wrong direction.
- Stay in the right hand lane. When on a freeway, avoid the left lane, which is the fast lane, as drivers who are traveling in the wrong direction will often stay in what they think is the right lane.
- Turn on your headlights. Once the sun goes down, make it a point to turn on your headlights. Once a wrong-way driver sees headlights, they may realize they’re going in the wrong direction, especially if they are on a freeway.
- Avoid distractions. Anything that takes your eyes off the road can end up being deadly. Focus on the road and what is up ahead, not your passenger or the radio station.
- Move quickly but safely. If you do see a wrong-way driver up ahead, get out of their way. This may mean changing lanes or getting off the freeway—just make sure to do it safely. You don’t want to cause an accident by trying to avoid one.
- Report the wrong-way driver. By calling 911 as soon as possible, you can get law enforcement on the road to help prevent a crash, which could save someone’s life.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer
Wrong-way driving often results in head-on collisions, which can be deadly. Those involved in this crash are fortunate to still be alive.
Whether you were involved in a car accident big or small, the Houston auto accident attorneys at the West Law Office, PLLC can help you get the compensation you deserve. Let us help you with your case so you can focus on your recovery. To schedule a free consultation, call 281-347-3247 or fill out the online form.