Sugar Land Pedestrian Accident Attorney
You do not need to be an expert in traffic-related accidents to know that people on foot are at risk of catastrophic, potentially debilitating injuries when struck in a pedestrian accident. Unfortunately, these incidents are common according to statistics reported by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT). There are almost 6,000 total pedestrian accidents throughout the state every year, resulting in 660 deaths and more than 5,300 injuries to victims. Worse, crashes involving walkers are on the rise, with significant increases since 2017.
Your life could be turned around by a pedestrian accident, so it is some comfort to know that you may have legal options under Texas personal injury laws. The West Law Office can assist with your remedies and help you recover compensation for your losses, so please contact us to schedule a free case evaluation with a Sugar Land pedestrian accident attorney. Some background about the relevant concepts may also be informative.
Serious Injuries are Common in Pedestrian Crashes
Based upon the size differential between a person on foot and motorized vehicles, you can expect that the trauma to the victim will be severe in a pedestrian accident. Another factor that makes these incidents so devastating is that there will typically be a secondary impact when the victim is tossed and lands on a hard surface. Some of the most common types of injuries include:
- Concussion and other types of traumatic brain injury (TBI);
- Broken bones, particularly to the lower extremities;
- Neck, back, and spinal cord injuries;
- Scrapes, cuts, and abrasions;
- Damage to internal organs; and,
- Paralysis, paraplegia, and quadriplegia.
Regardless of the type of injuries, you may qualify to recover compensation if you can prove the pedestrian accident was caused by driver negligence. Generally, you need evidence that the incident occurred because the motorist did not exercise proper care while driving.
Monetary Damages for Injured Victims
The West Law Office will fight to ensure you receive full compensation for your losses, starting by filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. If the insurer will not settle for a fair amount, we will take your case to court. Our Sugar Land pedestrian accident lawyers will seek two types of compensation:
- Economic damages for ascertainable losses, such as costs for medical treatment, lost wages, and out-of-pocket expenditures; and,
- Non-economic damages, which include your subjective, personal losses. This category is often referred to as pain and suffering but it also encompasses emotional anguish, scarring and disfigurement, diminished quality of life, losses that impact your relationships with loved ones, and many more.
Count on a Sugar Land Pedestrian Accident Attorney for Legal Support
Obtaining the compensation you deserve is critical when you suffer from severe injuries, so protect your rights by retaining skilled legal counsel. Our team at The West Law Office has extensive experience serving pedestrian accident victims in Fort Bend County and throughout Southeast Texas, so we will handle the process from start to finish. Please call 281-347-3247 to set up a no-cost consultation today.