Reckless Driver Killed After Colliding With Semi Truck In Houston
Many drivers are in a hurry and they take out their rage on others. They traverse the roadways in a reckless manner, weaving in and out of lanes and speeding.
One person was recently killed in a reckless driving accident on the Katy Freeway in Houston. The fatal accident occurred on the evening of July 2 near Mason Road. A semi truck was stopped on the shoulder when a Chevy Cruze veered onto the shoulder and rear-ended the truck. The driver of the Chevy, an adult man, died at the accident scene. It is believed that the man was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash.
The driver was seen driving recklessly before the crash. He was swerving in and out of lanes on the Katy Freeway.
What is Reckless Driving?
Reckless driving involves operating a motor vehicle with willful disregard for others on the roadway. A person suspected of reckless driving can face fines and license suspension. They may even face time in jail, especially if their actions cause injury or death to others. In Texas, reckless driving is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of up to $200 and up to 30 days in county jail.
Here are some common ways in which a person could be convicted of reckless driving:
- This is when a person is driving too fast for road conditions. Driving too fast disregards the safety of others, as it makes it harder to slow down to avoid an accident.
- Driving while intoxicated. Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol are scary. Their judgment is impaired and their reflexes are slow, so they cannot react to situations quickly. This causes them to drive recklessly and put the lives of others at risk.
- Weaving in and out of lanes. This type of driving is scary to others because it involves an aggressive driver merging from one lane to another, usually without signaling. The person’s driving is unpredictable and can easily cause a crash.
- This is another type of scary driving because it involves traveling too closely. This often makes the driver of the car in front nervous. If the vehicle in front suddenly has to put on the brakes to avoid a road hazard, they will end up getting rear-ended. That’s why you should stay at least two car lengths away from other vehicles.
- Running stop signs and red lights. Traffic signs and signals are there for a reason. They help regulate traffic and keep motorists safe. When a driver runs a red light or stop sign, they are putting others at risk. They could T-bone, sideswipe, or rear-end another vehicle, causing serious injuries.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer
Reckless driving is a major cause of car accidents. Motorists need to stay safe when on the road, as their actions can cause injury not only to themselves but others.
Crashes can be caused by reckless driving and other factors. If you have been involved in an accident, seek legal help from the Houston auto accident attorneys at The West Law Office, PLLC. Let us assess your case and determine liability. Call 281-347-3247 or fill out the online form to schedule a free consultation.