Katy Semi-Truck Accident Attorney
Semi-truck drivers are required to go through a special certification process and are generally held to a high standard of driving by their employers. However, given the dangerous size of the vehicles they operate, mistakes are bound to happen from time to time. On the other hand, the driver who caused your injuries may simply be a habitual traffic offender—a semi-truck driver who routinely flouts the law by speeding, failing to use turn signals, tailgating, and watching movies while he or she cruises down the highway. Regardless, if you were injured our Katy semi-truck accident attorneys at The West Law Office can help you file a lawsuit seeking damages for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, and more.
Top Four Causes of Semi-Truck Accidents
- Distracted Driving—Long haul truckers get bored on the road, and rightfully so. After all, they frequently log eight hour days back to back on routes they have taken hundreds of times before. But what is not forgivable is distracted driving, which includes watching TV or movies, using a phone to text or for any other purpose, or causing a crash while eating, drinking, or daydreaming.
- Fatigue—Untold numbers of truck crashes are caused by fatigue. While there are rules in place in an attempt to decrease falling asleep at the wheel, they have been weakened in recent years, and many truckers violate the rules anyways.
- Impatient Driving / Road Rage—Road rage includes tailgating, rapidly changing lanes, cutting others off, speeding, intimidating other drivers by using the brights or honking, and engaging in any other intentionally dangerous act to save time or punish other road users.
- Intoxicated Driving—There is nothing more dangerous than a drunk driver operating a vehicle that weighs 80,000 pounds.
Mechanical Failures and Overloading Accidents
Not all semi-truck accidents are caused by the driver. In some cases, negligence may lie with the party responsible for loading or maintaining the truck. Overloading accidents are caused by adding too much weight to the vehicle, making it impossible to stop on downhills or causing the trailer to rollover around a sharp bend. Mechanical failures, such as tire blowouts and worn out brakes can also lead to terrifying semi-truck crashes in which other road users end up becoming the victims.
Common Semi-Truck Accident Injuries
- Fractured bones;
- Internal organ injuries;
- Traumatic brain injuries;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Fractured vertebrae;
- Soft tissue injuries such as herniated disc, torn ACL, or torn meniscus;
- Facial trauma;
- Lacerations; and
Damages in a Katy Semi-Truck Accident
- Medical expenses and ongoing costs;
- Lost wages and lost earning capacity;
- Property damage;
- Pain and suffering;
- Loss of joy of life; and
- Emotional distress.
Contact a Semi-Truck Accident Attorney Today
Were you seriously injured in a collision with a semi-truck? A lawyer can help you file a personal injury claim against the trucking company for maximum compensation. To discuss your claim with one of our Katy semi-truck accident attorneys, call The West Law Office today at 283-347-3247 to schedule a free consultation.