Houston Personal Injury Attorney
Top-Rated Houston Personal Injury Attorney Representing Victims Throughout Southeast Texas
Every year, a significant number of injuries occur in Texas. These injuries can range from minor scrapes and bruises to serious, life-threatening conditions. Factors such as age, occupation, and lifestyle can increase a person’s risk for injury. In addition, accidents on the roadways, at work, and in homes and communities also contribute to the high number of injuries in the state. Effective injury prevention strategies, such as wearing seat belts, observing workplace safety protocols, and practicing safe habits. According to data from the Texas Department of State Health Services, common causes of injury in the state include car accidents, falls, and assaults. Injuries can range from minor cuts and bruises to severe and life-threatening conditions. It is estimated that over 400,000 people are treated in emergency departments for injuries in Texas each year. Additionally, it is reported that nearly 10,000 people die from injuries in the state each year, making it a leading cause of death.
At The West Law Office, our Houston personal injury attorney is an experienced, passionate advocate for injured victims. We are committed to providing personalized, focused representation to every client. Let us help you get justice and the maximum available financial compensation. To schedule a free, strictly confidential initial with an experienced Texas personal injury attorney, please call our Houston office at 281-347-3247 or send us a message directly online.
- Auto Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Car Wrecks
- Distracted Driving Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Head-On Collision
- Highway Accidents
- Hit & Run
- Jackknife Truck Accidents
- Limo Accidents
- Lyft Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Rear End Car Accidents
- Reckless Driving
- Rideshare Accidents
- School Bus Accidents
- Semi-Truck Accidents
- Slip & Fall
- T-Bone Accidents
- Taxi Accidents
- Tractor Trailer Accidents
- Traffic Collision
- Truck Accidents
- Uber Accidents
- Workplace Injury
- Wrongful Death
An Overview of Personal Injury Claims We Handle in Southeast Texas
We have handled the full range of personal injury claims. No matter the nature and severity of your accident, our attorney is ready to take action to protect your rights. Among other types of personal cases, our Houston, TX law firm has experience with:
- Auto Accidents: Car accidents are among the leading cause of serious injuries in Texas. Our Houston auto accident lawyer can help you navigate the claims process and recover compensation for your damages.
- Commercial Truck Accidents: 18 wheeler accident claims are complex. Sue E. West has the experience necessary to help hold the trucking company and its commercial insurers accountable.
- Motorcycle Wrecks: When motorcycle accidents occur, the consequences can be catastrophic. You need a diligent, tenacious advocate on your side.
- Pedestrian Collisions: Motorists have a duty to watch out for pedestrians. If you or your loved one was hurt in a pedestrian collision in Southeast Texas, call our Houston office now.
- Drunk Driving Accidents: Every year, thousands of Americans are injured or killed because of intoxicated drivers. Our Houston DWI accident injury lawyer helps victims fight for justice.
- Premises Liability Claims: Businesses and property owners have a responsibility to keep their premises in reasonably safe condition. Call our Houston, TX law office now for a free consultation.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Negligent property owners can be held liable for a slip and fall. Call our Houston, TX slip and fall accident lawyer for immediate help with your case.
- Dog Bite Injuries: A dangerous dog can cause serious injuries to an innocent person—especially children and elderly people. If you or your loved one was hurt by a dog in Houston, we are here to help.
- Workplace Injuries: We handle the full range of workplace injuries claims, including workers’ compensation denials, non-subscriber claims, and third party liability cases.
- Wrongful Death: Although nothing can ever make up for the loss of a close loved one, our Texas wrongful death lawyers can help you and your family get justice.
Texas Auto & Truck Accidents
It’s important to follow traffic laws and exercise caution while driving to help prevent accidents, but sometimes it happens. Common causes of auto accidents in Texas include:
- Distracted driving, such as texting or using a cell phone while driving.
- Impaired driving, including driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Speeding or reckless driving, such as running red lights or making illegal turns.
- Fatigue or drowsy driving, especially for truck drivers who may be operating for long hours without sufficient rest.
- Poor weather conditions, such as heavy rain, fog, or high winds.
- Vehicle malfunctions, such as faulty brakes or tire blowouts.
- Improper maintenance or neglect of vehicles, such as failing to keep lights or brakes in good working condition.
- Road design or construction, such as poorly marked lanes or confusing road signs.
- Overloading or improperly securing cargo in commercial trucks.
There are also thousands of truck accidents each year. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, in 2019 there were 11,397 truck crashes resulting in fatal or serious injury. There are several common causes of truck accidents, including:
- Driver error: Truck drivers may drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol, be distracted, or fatigued, which can lead to accidents.
- Mechanical failure: Trucks are complex machines and breakdowns can occur, especially if proper maintenance is not carried out.
- Improper loading: If a truck is overloaded or loaded improperly, it can cause the truck to be unstable on the road and increase the risk of an accident.
- Weather conditions: Weather conditions such as rain, snow, and ice can make driving conditions more dangerous for trucks, leading to accidents.
- Poor road conditions: Potholes, road construction, and other road hazards can cause truck accidents.
- Sudden stops: Trucks are much larger and heavier than passenger vehicles, and they require more time and distance to stop. If a truck driver is following too closely, it can lead to an accident if the vehicle in front suddenly stops.
These are some of the most common causes of truck accidents. However, there can be many other factors involved in a specific accident. Contact experienced Houston auto, car, truck and motorcycle accident attorney Sue E. West for more information or assistance.
You Can Rely on Experienced Attorney Sue E. West
A member of the Houston Bar Association. American Bar Association, and the Texas Women Lawyers, Sue E. West has more than two decades of experience representing injured victims throughout Southeast Texas. You should not have to pay for someone else’s recklessness or carelessness. When you reach out to us for a free consultation, we will review your case, answer your questions, and explain the personal injury claims process. Our mission is to get you the full and fair financial compensation that you rightfully deserve.
Please hold onto the following documents which will help us with your claim:
- Any police report. You should call the police after an accident on the road. An officer will draft a crash or accident report, which should contain important information that will prove useful for your claim. Get a copy or ask the officer for the report number.
- All medical bills, including insurance statements, receipts for prescription medication, and travel expenses to receive treatment. We can usually request compensation for medical care to treat injuries caused in an accident.
- Proof of income. If you are a wage employee, hang onto weekly or monthly pay stubs. Self-employed and gig workers should fully document how much they usually make in a week. You can use bank records or contracts as proof.
- Communications between you and any insurance company. They might send letters or emails, or else they could leave a voicemail message. If you talk on the phone, record the name and a summary of the conversation.
Can You Receive Compensation for Personal Injuries?
It is possible to hold a negligent person responsible for injuring you. However, we need to completely understand the accident to assign fault. Under Texas negligence law, you can receive money if you can prove the following:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care. Often, they owe this duty because they are physically close to you. A motorist on the road, for example, owes a duty of care to other motorists driving near them.
- The defendant breached that duty. This means they did not act with adequate care.
- Your injuries were caused by the breach of duty. There needs to be a connection between your injury and the defendant’s conduct.
- You suffered damages. Damages are losses you can receive compensation for. If you suffered physical injuries, you undoubtedly suffered damages in the form of medical bills and pain and suffering.
At the West Law Office, we have sought compensation for medical care, income loss, lost benefits, property damage, and pain and suffering, along with other intangible losses. Let us review your case in a free consultation to determine whether you can file a claim.
Negotiation versus Trial
Most Houston personal injury cases settle to the satisfaction of all parties. This will make going to trial unnecessary. When we end up in court, it’s usually because there are disputes over certain issues that we can’t resolve:
- Fault. Who is to blame for the accident? Sometimes, each side is committed to the idea that the other side is to blame. Fault matters for purposes of paying compensation.
- Injury severity. You will receive more compensation for more serious injuries. A defendant might argue that you are exaggerating your injuries, so they want to pay less.
- Future expenses. If you have a permanent disability, you should request compensation to cover future expenses, like future medical care or future lost earnings.
Our Houston personal injury lawyer is fully prepared to file a lawsuit to protect your rights if it comes to that. However, she is also a skilled negotiator and can often obtain a fair settlement.
Call Our Houston Personal Injury Attorney for a Free Consultation
At The West Law Office, our Houston personal injury attorney has the skills, experience, and diligence to help our clients maximize their financial recovery. If you or your loved one was hurt in an accident, we can help. For a free, no obligation review of your case, please contact our law firm at 281-347-3247. With an office in Houston, we represent injured victims throughout Southeast Texas, including in Harris County, Fort Bend County, Montgomery County, and Galveston County.