Brookshire Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Accidents involving pedestrians almost always involve serious injuries or fatalities. Someone crossing the street doesn’t have any protection against a vehicle that runs into them, so even a minor impact can be devastating. A pedestrian can be anyone walking, running, hiking, jogging, etc., and is involved in a collision with the vehicle. The majority of Texas accidents involving pedestrians typically occur in urban areas. If you were injured or a loved one was killed, in a pedestrian accident, you need an experienced Brookshire pedestrian accident attorney who can help.
Always Drive Defensively
Every year, thousands of pedestrians are killed in accidents. Drivers can do their part to help reduce the number of fatalities by driving defensively. Driving carefully includes always obeying traffic laws and regulations like:
- Always remain alert when behind the wheel of a motor vehicle;
- Do not drive under the influence of alcohol or narcotics;
- Obey speed limits, which could mean driving at reduced speeds during inclement weather or through road construction zones;
- Do not drive while fatigued or sleepy;
- Do not allow yourself to become distracted behind the wheel;
- Pay close attention at intersections and parking lots to monitor for pedestrians; and
- Watch for pedestrians jaywalking as well.
Pedestrian Have Responsibilities Too
Pedestrians must do their part too to help avoid accidents. Many collisions involving pedestrians happen after dark, when people are harder to see. As a pedestrian, you can help prevent accidents by wearing reflective and bright clothing to help you stand out to drivers. Pedestrians should always be responsible for:
- Do not exit the crosswalk when crossing a street;
- Follow all traffic signals, like the “walk” symbol for pedestrians;
- Be cautious in an area where a driver is not likely to see you;
- Don’t use cell phones or other distractions when you are crossing the street; and
- Obey right-of-way laws, and cross only when it’s safe.
Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
Some injuries are more common than others in accidents involving pedestrians. Some of the most common pedestrian injuries we see include:
- Bone Fractures: Broken bones are common when a vehicle strikes a pedestrian’s body.
- Internal Injuries: Hard impacts can often result in internal injuries, including broken ribs, internal bleeding, etc.
- Head Trauma: Head trauma can come from a pedestrian’s head making an impact with the car or falling to the ground. Some brain injuries can be minor, but they can also be severe, requiring immediate medical assistance.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries are devastating as victims can be left paralyzed.
- Pelvic Injuries: In many pedestrian accidents, the vehicle’s hood makes contact with the victim’s pelvis, causing a pelvic fracture.
In extreme cases, a pedestrian who is struck by a vehicle may pass away from their injuries. If your family member was killed in a pedestrian accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you might have the legal right to bring a wrongful death claim in Texas.
Contact a Texas Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured in a Brookshire pedestrian accident, let the attorneys at The West Law Office protect your rights. Contact our office today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.