Katy Traffic Collision Attorney
With cell phone use at an all time high, roads that encourage high speed, and modern vehicles equipped with distracting infotainment screens, it is no wonder that traffic collisions have been on the rise in the last decade. If you were hit by a distracted driver, fatigued semi-truck operator, or a road-raged commuter, our Katy traffic collision attorneys at The West Law Office can help.
Types of Traffic Collisions We Handle
- Car collisions;
- Truck collisions;
- Tanker truck collisions;
- Motorcycle collisions;
- Bicyclist collisions;
- Pedestrian collisions;
- Bus and school bus collisions;
- Rideshare and taxi collisions; and
Driver Error is the Leading Cause of Traffic Collisions
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, over 90 percent of fatal collisions are caused by driver error. The same is true for injury collisions—most are caused by negligent drivers, through one (or a combination) of the following:
- Distracted driving;
- Aggressive driving;
- Intoxicated driving; or
- Drowsy driving.
Other forms of negligence can include negligent maintenance of the vehicle and defective auto parts, in which case the manufacturer would be held liable for damages.
Damages in a Katy Traffic Collision
- Medical expenses;
- Lost wages and earning ability;
- Pain and suffering;
- Property damage;
- Loss of joy of life;
- Emotional distress; and
The Three Main Steps in a Traffic Collision Claim
- Establish Negligence—Proving negligence is a paramount aspect of any personal injury claim. In order to do this successfully, you and your attorney must be able to prove that the at-fault party caused the crash. This may be simple if the police report is performed accurately. In other cases, it may be more difficult, particularly if the other party claims that you contributed to the crash, in which case you could potentially be held partially negligent.
- Compile Damages—You need to have an accurate compilation of your damages. This includes medical expenses, future projected medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, lost ability to earn an income, loss of joy of life, and more. This part of the claim takes a long time, because it is never immediately obvious what your damages will amount to.
- Hold the at-Fault Party’s Insurer Accountable—You will be filing a lawsuit against the negligent party’s insurance company. As such, you will most likely not be going after the negligent party’s personal property. All relevant insurance policies need to be thoroughly analyzed by your attorney. There may even be more than one insurance policy at play, particularly if you have uninsured motorist protection through your own insurer. Most claims can be negotiated out of the courtroom, and mediation will likely be pursued before the lawsuit is taken before a judge.
Contact a Traffic Collision Attorney Today
As the victim of a Katy traffic collision, you have the opportunity to seek justice by filing a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver. Here at The West Law Office, our Katy traffic collision attorneys can take on every aspect of your claim so that you can focus on your road to recovery in the coming months. Call us today at 283-347-3247 to schedule a free consultation at your soonest convenience.