Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
The West Law Office The West Law Office
  • Get In Touch Today!

FAQs About Texas Car Accidents


Have you ever been in a car accident in Texas? Even if you have, it’s always a scary process. You want to make sure you know what to do in the hours and days following a crash. If you fail to do something or make mistakes along the way, it can affect your insurance claim. You may not get the settlement you deserve.

Car accidents can happen in a number of ways and are not always straightforward. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about the process.

Q: What should I do after a car accident?

A: After a car crash, no matter how minor, you should always stop and remain at the accident scene. Exchange information with the other parties (such as insurance information and contact information). If you are injured, seek medical attention right away. Call the police and have them come to the accident scene to file a report. You should also document the crash by taking photos and videos. In addition, jot down notes such as location, weather conditions, time of day, and anything else that can help your case. You will want to contact your insurance company and file a claim. Your agent will advise you of the next steps.

Q: How much is my car accident worth?

A: The value of your car crash is based on various factors such as the severity of your injuries, the damage to your vehicle, lost wages, disability, pain and suffering, scarring, disfigurement, and other damages you suffered or out-of-pocket costs you paid. You can recover compensation for economic and non-economic damages.

Q: How long do I have to file a claim?

A: In Texas, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases, including car accidents, is two years. This means you have two years from the date of the car accident to file a claim for compensation. This may seem like a long time, but the sooner you file, the better. There is no leeway in these cases, so if you are just one day late, you will be barred from financial recovery.

Q: What happens if I am partially at fault for a car accident?

Under the Civil Practice and Remedies Code, Section 33.001, you can still recover compensation for damages suffered in a car accident as long as you are no more than 50% at fault. If you are mostly at fault, you will be barred from recovering any compensation.

Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer

Some people never get into accidents. When they finally get into a crash, they may have a lot of questions about the process and what they should and should not do.

That’s where a Houston car accident attorney from The West Law Office, PLLC comes in. Our knowledgeable team will answer your questions and guide you through the process. Fill out the online form or call 281-347-3247 to schedule a free consultation.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation